As the name suggests, five card draw is a type of draw poker, which means that you can discard cards and have them replaced by new ones during the course of the game. Five Card Draw is one of the most commonly played draw poker variants, along with 2-7 Single Draw and 2-7 Triple Draw.
Unlike community card games like Texas Hold’em and Omaha, Five Card Draw has no community cards.
How to play Five Card Draw
Five card draw is played with a standard 52 card deck. There are no jokers or other wild cards.
- The player sitting left of the dealer posts the small blind. The player sitting left of the small blind posts the big blind.
- The dealer gives each player five cards, dealt face down. You are allowed to look at your own cards, but should keep them secret from other players.
- The player sitting left of the big blind starts the betting round.
- When the betting round is over and all players have made their move, the draw part of the game starts. The player sitting left of the big blind is the first to act, by discarding 0-5 of her cards. Each discarded card is replaced with a new card from the deck.
Discarding one card and getting a new one, and then discarding another card and getting a new one, and so on, is not allowed. You have to decide once and for all which cards to discard and which cards to keep.
When the player sitting left of the big blind is finished, the next person make their move, and so on, until all players have acted.
- A final betting round will take place.
- If there are at least two players left after the final betting round, there will be a showdown where the remaining players display their hands. The pot goes to the person with the best poker hand.
About draw poker
Draw poker is a type of poker where you are allowed to discard cards and receive new ones. The rules for how, when and how many times you can do this during a game varies. In the Five Card Draw outlined above, there is only one change of cards, in 2-7 Triple Draw, there are three changes of cards, and so on.
It is possible for a draw poker game to also be a community card poker game and/or a stud poker game, but this is unusual. For most types of popular draw poker variants, the possible exchange of cards is the only feature that can impact the hand of the player after the initial deal.